guided tour in German, leaflet in English - daily except Mon 10am-6pm (5pm early Oct-mid Nov) - closed mid Nov-mid Mar
This lavish Baroque palace was built between 1710 and 1712 for Margravine Sybilla Augusta. A hunting lodge and country retreat, it was used to hold court concerts and banquets. The interior decoration with its scagliola floors, mirrors, chinoiseries and porcelain and faience collections is particularly rich. The extensive landscaped grounds, laid out in 1780, are delightfully peaceful.