mid Apr-mid Jun, mid Sep-end Oct, Easter and Christmas school hols: 10am-4pm (closed Mon in Apr); mid Jun-mid Sep: 9am-6pm; Nov-mid Apr: 10am-3pm (closed Mon except Feb school hols)
Christian IV's initial intention to build a modest summer retreat in 1606 gave way over time to his building frenzy and the edifice became a genuine castle. The most advanced techniques of the era were used here: bathrooms with running water, and a drawbridge operated from the winter salon. In 1710, the palace ceased to be a royal residence as Frederik IV considered it too small. It has been open to the public since 1833 and houses the Crown Jewels.