Apr-Sep: 10am-12.30pm, 2pm-6pm; rest of year: 2pm-6pm - closed 1 Jan, 1 Nov, 25 Dec
This pharaonic work (overtly inspired by Egyptian statues) is set against the rock face, below the barracks built by General Haxo. It was sculpted by Bartholdi between 1875 and 1880 and assembled on site, piece by piece. Carved from red Vosges sandstone, the Lion symbolises the city's strength and resistance in 1870. Harmoniously proportioned, it is 22m long and 11m high, and looks even more impressive when illuminated at night.